In what is regarded as the most beautiful part of Devon, and but a mere eight miles from the coast of the English Channel, in an ancient Parish known as “Buckerell”, the Deer Park may be found, a Georgian Squire’s Mansion dated 1721, set in 80 acres of glorious Devon Landscape.
Known as the Deerpark in ancient days, and providing a center for the kings of England together with their gentlemen, not to mention their ladies – the Chase is surrounded by history. The Old Iron Age fortress of Hembury is not far away from over the hills and across the verdant valley, and the Deer Park Mansion looks out to the Old Roman Road. This Fosse Way which carried the Horse drawn coaches and carts, and quite a few Highwaymen as well from the Cathedral cities of Lincoln and Peterborough to the sister City of Exeter for a thousand years and more.
At about the end of Cromwell’s rule, Nicholas Fry pulled down the Old Barton, and built the first Deer Park Mansion. The Fry family lived here until the end of the 18th century. The present house built in 1755 – faces directly south and much thought was given to its design as may be seen from the large windows which all received a full measure of sunshine from sunrise to sundown.